[vtkusers] Temporal Interpolation Assistance with VTK7 in Python

David Thompson david.thompson at kitware.com
Wed Mar 22 10:20:19 EDT 2017

Hi Andrew,

> I am hoping someone could point me in the right direction for the following problem. I have two ExodusII files (read using vtkExodusIIReader) each file contains several timesteps from a complete simulation.
>
> I would like to utilize vtkTemporalInterpolator to allow for any timestep within the range of the timesteps in the files to be rendered.
>
> Is this possible using VTK python bindings? If so, I would appreciate being pointed in the correct direction for implementing this sort of tool.

I don't know whether the Exodus reader itself or the FileSeries reader does it, but one of the two should identify the files as a time-sequence. Note that usually Exodus time-series are broken into multiple files at steps where mesh adaptation occurs. Time *interpolation* (i.e., generating a mesh at a time between 2 saved steps) cannot take place at this boundary since there's no registration between the meshes.

	David