[vtkusers] vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D in VTK 7.1?

Simon ESNEAULT simon.esneault at gmail.com
Wed Mar 8 05:16:45 EST 2017

Hello Alvaro,

That's real good news to hear (about the down-sampling in X and Y), I find
it really difficult to tweak volume rendering only with sample distance,
especially during interaction.
Has the development began already ? Is there some branche where we can test
that feature ?

Also in that case would it be possible to add a final "gaussian smoothing
pass" or equivalent only on the 2D generated image (maybe only as an
option) ? I look like it is the case with FixedPointVolumeraycastMapper,
the image looks a bit blurred but sometimes it helps to see the structures

Thanks
Simon

> Hi Shark,
>
> unfortunately there is no current plan of porting vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D
> to OpenGL2
> , as far as I know.  We will soon however support image down sampling in X
> and Y which
> should serve as additional knobs to tweak the performance of
>  GPURayCastMapper in
> OpenGL2 (only sample distance can be currently adjusted).
>
> Could you provide more detail on the size of the dataset you are rendering
> and your GPU
> specs?
>
> Thanks,
> Álvaro
>
> On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 10:30 AM, Shark <m.nunes at fratoria.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have been having some issues with vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D. I see it has
>> been deprecated, however it is still available if I use the old openGL.
>>
>> Since for software rendering with texture mapping is much faster than ray
>> casting, I would like to know if you are planning to have a Volume Texture
>> Mapper for openGL 2, or if there is actually a new one that I am not able
>> find.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Shark
>>

>> --