[vtkusers] vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D in VTK 7.1?

Sankhesh Jhaveri sankhesh.jhaveri at kitware.com
Mon Mar 6 12:51:23 EST 2017

Hello Shark,

As of now, there are no plans of supporting the vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D with
the OpenGL2 backend. Based on my understanding, the performance of 3D
texture mapping (accumulating samples one texture slice at a time) vs ray
casting (accumulating samples one ray at a time) would be similar when
using hardware acceleration.

For software rendering, you should try the vtkFixedPointVolumeRayCastMapper.
It has been improved and optimized over the recent past. Another promising
approach is using the OSPRay
<https://blog.kitware.com/vtk-and-paraview-now-with-ray-traced-rendering/>
backend
which leverages Intel’s OSPRay <http://www.ospray.org/> ray tracing engine.

Hope that helps.
Sankhesh

On Mon, Mar 6, 2017 at 10:30 AM Shark <m.nunes at fratoria.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have been having some issues with vtkVolumeTextureMapper3D. I see it has
> been deprecated, however it is still available if I use the old openGL.
>
> Since for software rendering with texture mapping is much faster than ray
> casting, I would like to know if you are planning to have a Volume Texture
> Mapper for openGL 2, or if there is actually a new one that I am not able
> find.
>
> Best regards,
> Shark
>

> --

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Sankhesh Jhaveri *Sr. Research & Development Engineer* | Kitware
<http://www.kitware.com/> | (518) 881-4417
​