[vtkusers] concept of visualizing large datasets (no ParaView)

Trevour Spencer trevourspencer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 6 15:19:42 EDT 2017

Dear VTK experts,
I'd like to solve a problem with visualizing datasets that are too large to
be rendered fluently on a single node.
We have datasets that have been distributed with PT-Scotch across ~10-100
nodes of a MPI cluster (each node has a GPU, but for now we are rendering
CPU only.). A vtkUnstructuredGrid has been created on each process to
visualize the respective fraction of the data that is stored in this
process. So far, we have been successful.

How would I create a composite image that combines all data from all
processes? Apparently
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/MultiPass_Rendering#Parallel_rendering gives
some ideas, and the example
http://www.vtk.org/gitweb?p=VTK.git;a=blob;f=Filters/Parallel/Testing/Cxx/DistributedDataRenderPass.cxx
is perfect for distributing the points of a small dataset across 2
processes and rendering the combined image.

What I cannot find out with these examples is:
How do I proceed, if the data *are* already distributed across the
processes? I cannot gather all data on process id #0 (too large) to pass
them to a vtkDistributedDataFilter as in the example above. How should the
DistributedDataRenderPass.cxx be modified to run with initially distributed
data?

I appreciate your thoughts
Trevour

ps: Finding a solution without ParaView is a requirement from our IT side.
We can't argue with them :(

Virenfrei.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>