[vtkusers] Building Python support for both Python 2 and Python 3

Prentice Bisbal pbisbal at pppl.gov
Thu Jul 20 14:53:53 EDT 2017

I searched the mailing list archives and coudn't find an answer to this
question, which I imagine must be quite common on this list:

I support an environment where the users use both Python 2.7 and Python
3.6 from python.org, as well as the Anaconda2 and Anaconda3  python
distributions from Continuum Analytics (continuum.io). I need to build
vtk python modules for these different versions of Python. What is the
best way to do this?

Is it possible to build just the VTK python module? In a perfect world,
I should be able to build VTK, install it, and then build the Python
modules for that version of VTK for the various versions of python I
support, but that doesn't seem possible.

I imagine I could build VTK with Python2 in my path, and then rebuild it
with Python3 in my path and have them install in the same location, so
that the python2 and python3 libraries are both installed, in the VTK
install directory, but I suspect this might lead to other issues
elsewhere in the VTK environment.

I imagine I only need to build one module for python 2.7 and both the
python.org and anaconda2 installations can use the same module, ditto
for Python 3.6

Any help/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Prentice