[vtkusers] BooleanOperationPolyDataFilter Problems

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 11:41:06 EDT 2017

The instability of vtkDelaunay2D is definitely a problem for these kinds of
filters.  It isn't just a matter of vtkDelaunay2D having bugs... the
problem is that in order for the algorithm to be robust, it must use exact
math.  So a lot of the work that has gone into fixing bugs seems to have
just changed the situations that cause it to crash.

A few years ago I wrote a filter called vtkContourTriangulator that can
sometimes be used as a stable replacement for vtkDelaunay2D.  However,
vtkContourTriangulator is not as fast as vtkDelaunay2D, nor does it produce
high-quality triangles (i.e. it does triangulation, but not Delaunay
triangulation).

 - David