[vtkusers] BooleanOperationPolyDataFilter Problems

updega2 updega2 at berkeley.edu
Wed Jul 5 07:42:28 EDT 2017

Hi, I authored the LoopBoolean a few years ago because we wanted a more
reliable vtk-based boolean to use in our software.

I've mentioned this before I believe on the merge requests, but I think it
may be helpful to say it again here. When the booleans fail (current and the
LoopBoolean), it is typically during re-triangulation due to vtkDelaunay2D.
I developed the LoopBoolean using vtk 6.0. After vtk 6.0, some changes were
made to the vtkDelaunay2D code, which caused many more issues in the
LoopBoolean. I tried working with the vtkDelaunay2D author to fix some of
the Delaunay bugs, and we got a couple fixed, but a few remain.

So, in our software, we actually have a copy of the vtkDelaunay2D code from
the vtk 6.0 pipeline, and the LoopBoolean calls that. The code works well
for our purposes. It still isn't bug free as the code is tolerance-based,
and there are orientation tests that may fail from time to time due to
tolerance issues. Also, I'll admit that error checking could be better. I
would like to go back and improve this part of the code, but haven't had the
time yet.

Adam