[vtkusers] Where to get Windows binary package/wheel of VTK for Python 2.7

Charles A Kang charlesakang at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 16:13:07 EST 2017

I have been using VTK via the Python bindings, and I am happy to say that
it has worked very well for me. I've noticed that there seems to be an
issue with version 7.0.0 and the Intel HD2000/3000 video cards (
http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtk-developers/2016-February/033170.html
).

I understand that a workaround for this is to use a different version of
VTK. However, I am having difficulty finding a Windows compiled package of
VTK 7.1.0 or 6.3.0 that works with Python 2.7. Previously, I had been using
the 7.0.0 wheel file provided by Christoph Gohlke's web site (
http://www.lfd.uci.edu/~gohlke/pythonlibs/#vtk ), but I cannot find the
exact version I want there. I am looking for the following: Python 2.7, VTK
version either 7.1.0 or 6.3.0, and preferably both 32 bit and 64 bit
versions, but either is fine.

Is there any way to get a pre-compiled Windows binary of VTK that I can
install into my instance of Python 2.7?

Alternatively, is there a way for me to convert the standalone Python
windows binaries available through the VTK web site downloads section (
http://www.vtk.org/download/ ) into a package (such as a wheel file) that I
can install in my own instance of Python 2.7?

I've tried using the Anaconda distribution of VTK 7.1.0, but this causes
mysterious problems when I use py2exe. I've also tried compiling VTK on my
own in Windows, but I've had a lot of trouble. I can't get CMake to play
nice with Microsoft Visual C++ Compiler for Python 2.7 (
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44266 ) -- it
can't seem to locate the compiler. If possible, I would prefer to just use
someone else's compiled windows binary Python package.

Thanks!