[vtk-developers] Windows Intel HD 2000 not working with new rendering backend

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Wed Feb 10 18:36:09 EST 2016

You can use renWin->SupportsOpenGL() to see if the system is supported. It
tries to do this gracefully.

The minimum requirement right now is OpenGL 2.1 with the shader4 extension.
>From what I can see on the web intel HD 2000 should support that but
clearly glew does not think so. Maybe the shader4 extension is not exposed
on the 2.1 context?

On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 6:08 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell <
marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2016 at 6:05 PM, Marcus D. Hanwell
> <marcus.hanwell at kitware.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a Windows 7 64 bit machine, glewinfo offers the following summary:
> >
> > GLEW version 1.13.0
> > Reporting capabilities of pixelformat 3
> > Running on a Intel(R) HD Graphics 2000 from Intel
> > OpenGL version 3.1.0 - Build 9.17.10.3347 is supported
> >
> > In a new Tomviz build I see the following failure:
> >
> > ERROR: In
> C:\bbd\e04ad53c\build\paraview\src\paraview\VTK\Rendering\OpenGL2\vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
> > line 590
> >
> > vtkWin32OpenGLRenderWindow (00000000029E7990): GL version 2.1 with the
> > gpu_shader4 extension is not supported by your graphics driver but is
> > required for the new OpenGL rendering backend. Please update your
> > OpenGL driver. If you are using Mesa please make sure you have version
> > 10.6.5 or later and make sure your driver in Mesa supports OpenGL 3.2.
> >
> > Is our effective minimum version for OpenGL 3.2 now? It looks like I
> > have the latest drivers, and so I am guessing I would need to switch
> > back to the old backend or buy a graphics card for the machine. The
> > 3.2 section looks like this,
> >
> GL_VERSION_3_2:                                                MISSING
> ---------------
>   glFramebufferTexture:                                        OK
>   glGetBufferParameteri64v:                                    MISSING
>   glGetInteger64i_v:                                           MISSING
> >
> > From an application development perspective, is there API that I could
> > use to present a friendlier message to our users? Is 3.2 effectively
> > the minimum, it looks like this card has everything up to 3.1 and then
> > lacks several 3,2 features.
>
> Tomviz ultimately ends up segfaulting, I can add Qt code to detect 3.2
> and fail if not available if that is effectively our minimum. It would
> be great to be able to support these cards, but if not possible I
> would like to offer a simpler error message without crashing.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marcus

Ken Martin PhD
Chairman & CFO
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065
518 371 3971

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.