[vtkusers] Using vtkLineWidget2 with PyQt

Oliver Natt onatt at gmx.de
Mon Dec 18 02:45:00 EST 2017

Dear vtkusers,

I found a solution to my problem: The problem is obviously caused by
python's garbage  collector. If I assign the vtkLineWidget2 to an
instance variable of the class MainWindow, it works as expected. The
same issue happens with other vtkWidgets, too.

I am interested to understand, why this actually happens. It is not a
problem for the vtkActor but only for the vtk...Widget. Something must
be fundamentally different between those classes which causes that the
vtk...Widget is garbage-collected although it is still needed by vtk.

Best regards,
Oliver