[vtkusers] vtkGL2PSExporter crashes

Andras Lasso lasso at queensu.ca
Fri Dec 8 14:59:55 EST 2017

> not to re-start this tiresome list vs forum stuff

Well, that's the point. Not everybody is interested in every topics. It's good to have the tools to deal with this nicely.

By the way, most differences you listed are useful features, but of course individual user preferences may differ. You can configure these features at system or user level. See details below.

Andras

> all email is now html

It is a feature. With HTML formatting, you can make your post easier to read. It's really hard to find email clients that cannot cope with HTML.

> quoted text doesn't appear as usual

It is a feature. Text can be quoted properly now. Finally, there is standard way of referring to particular portion of previous posts.

> the 'from' address is not something that can be replied to, making off-list replies impossible.

Reply by email works just fine, unless it is disabled intentionally or by mistake.

> there is no 'List-Post' header, making it hard to start a new thread via email

You can start new threads via email. You can customize the email template with any headers and footers.

> it strips off email signatures

That's a great feature. Signatures make long email threads painful to read.

> Since they switched, I find myself only using it when I have something to ask; it's not conducive to following along and helping out.  Your mileage may vary.  Such things tend to get religious.

You can set up default notification settings any way you want. You can notify all users by all posts by default (mailing-list-style), or first post of each new topic, etc.