[vtkusers] vtkPolyDataWriter: comma decimal mark instead of dot decimal mark

Romain LEGUAY romain.leguay at gmail.com
Mon Aug 28 10:33:11 EDT 2017

Hi everyone,

I have a little issue when I try to write then read a polydata.

This is the code I use to write  then read my polydata inside a string (not a file):

// Writing part
vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyDataWriter> writer = vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyDataWriter>::New();
writer->WriteToOutputStringOn();
writer->SetInputData(myPolyData);
writer->Update();

char * data = writer->GetOutputString();

// Reading part
vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyDataReader> polyReader = vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyDataReader>::New();
polyReader->ReadFromInputStringOn();
polyReader->SetInputString(data);
polyReader->Update();
vtkSmartPointer<vtkPolyData> polyData = polyReader->GetOutput();

Unfortunately, when I try to read the data, I have some error indicating some Unrecognized symbols: the decimal mark is a comma instead of a dot.

Can we change easily this comportement or force VTK to write with dot decimal mark?

I know the command std::setlocale but I would like to know if there is another way to fix this problem.

Thank you!

Romain