[vtkusers] Using multile texture files in vtkOBJImporter

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Thu Aug 17 10:00:25 EDT 2017

It is possible to have multiple texture maps applied to a single surface
where the texture maps are blended together using a blending function. That
is the part we do not support. Hope that helps!

On Wed, Aug 16, 2017 at 9:18 PM, vinmean <iamdpak at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the reply. What I had with me was a single mesh.obj, a single
> MTL
> file mesh.mtl and multiple texture files mesh_material0000_map_kd.png,
> mesh_material0001_map_kd.png, mesh_material0002_map_kd.png.
>
> After setting the obj and mtl file names, I set only the first material
> mesh_material0000_map_kd.png using the importer->setTexturePath(). I was
> able to get the complete 3D object with the textures applied.
>
> I had asked this question because the  setTexturePath took only one texture
> file path. Even though my problem seems to be resolved, I am curious to
> understand if my scenario is different from "/Only one texture per
> object/".
> It would be great if you can point me to tutorials/materials which talk
> about how textures are applied because I didn't understand the statement
> /"you have an OBJ file where one piece (material?), uses multiple textures
> and has multiple sets of texture coordinates per vertex"/
>

> --

> opensource/opensource.html

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

Ken Martin PhD
Distinguished Engineer
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.