[vtkusers] Issuings running make in my VTK-build directory

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Wed Apr 12 14:11:27 EDT 2017

Andrew,

Typically, servers like the one on which I assume you are compiling
have two types of storage available:

1). A network file system that you can access on more than one server
and perhaps a personal computer. These typically hold a home directory
for you and may be backed up.

2). Local disks on the server. It is faster to access these disks
because they are local. As a result, at a number of computing centers
it is often possible to use these disks to do things like compile
source code. These disks are typically not backed up - think of them
as "scratch" paper where you do somewhat temporary work.

Is it necessary to compile VTK on the school server? If so, I suggest
asking your instructor who has hopefully done that once already and
knows how to resolve the issue you are facing.

HTH,
Cory

--
Cory Quammen