[vtkusers] How to visualize a smooth colored density map from 2d histogram?

Mario Emmenlauer mario at emmenlauer.de
Tue Apr 4 06:00:44 EDT 2017

On 04.04.2017 11:03, Mario Emmenlauer wrote:
> I have a 2D histogram of discrete events. I'd like to visualize
> this as a false-color-coded smooth "height profile". Is there something
> existing in VTK that I could use to smoothen (fit a 2D function?) to the
> histogram, and then translate height into a color lookup table?
>
> Thanks for any pointers/ideas! All the best,

To aid the description: I do not need an actual 3D surface. It would
be sufficient to get a 2D color image, or even just a grayscale image,
where intensity represents the (smoothed) number of events. A bit like
the one here:
http://yacht.yonsei.ac.kr/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=yais:linux:package:python:image.png

I could implement a 2D kernel density estimation, but to make it fast
is a bit of effort. I was hoping to find something ready-made in VTK?

All the best,

    Mario