[vtkusers] Data spacing affects volume rendering quality?

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Mon Sep 12 14:21:01 EDT 2016

> Den 12 sep. 2016 5:35 em skrev "Elvis Stansvik" <elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com>:

>>> Hi Elvis,
>>>
>>> Sorry for not being prompt.
>>>
>>> You shouldn't need to scale your transfer function. See vtkVolumeProperty::SetScalarOpacityUnitDistance(). Changing it to target spacing might do the trick.
>>

>> Thank you, that indeed did the trick. Setting it to 0.0006 (my volume spacing) and rendering is back to normal. I'll do some more testing to see that I can achive similar looking result with multiple volumes with different spacing, but I'm hopeful it is now solved.
>>
>> Again, thanks a lot. Not sure I would have found this myself.
>>
>> I'll have to rewrite the app slightly such that each volume has its own vtkVolumeProperty (at the moment they share the same), but that should be no problem.

I realize now my mail below is filled with some backwards thinking, so
replying to myself.

> Hope it's okay with some last questions, because I want to know what
> I'm doing by setting this option and why it "works", and I'm not sure
> I fully understand yet.
>
> If I understand correctly VTK, by default, calculates the opacity
> based on the opacity transfer function and the sample distance (aka
> step size, the distance traveled by the ray). Is this correct? (It
> looks like it, from these lines in vtkVolume [1]).
>
> You said that by default "[...] the sample distance is computed as 1/2
> the average spacing throughout the volume.". But if the sample
> distance is based on the spacing, and the opacity is based on the
> sample distance, then how come a volume looks different (opacity-wise)
> when it is scaled (or equivalently, its spacing is altered)?

This of course makes perfect sense. Spacing -> sample distance ->
opacity. Change the spacing and you change the opacity.

> I think I tried (can't quite remember and I'm back home now) to check
> if the AutoAdjustSampleDistances option was turned on, and I think it
> was. I didn't turn it on explicitly, so perhaps this is the default
> (and not 1/2 average spacing)? My question then is, with this option
> turned on, is the opacity completely independent of the volume
> spacing, and only a function of the performance of the computer and
> the desired frame rate? If so, that would explain what I was seeing.

It probably isn't just a function of the performance/target frame
rate, but also of the spacing. And _that_ would explain what I was
seeing. (Backwards thinking from me here as well...).

> But (!), if that's the case, then shouldn't I have gotten good result
> when I turned the option off and set the sample distance explicitly
> (using SetSampleDistance) to 1/2 of my data spacing? (The result still
> looked strange when I did that).

This I still don't quite understand. To me it seems that this should
have worked just as well as using the
vtkVolumeProperty::SetScalarOpacityUnitDistance option ..?

> Now, the vtkVolumeProperty::SetScalarOpacityUnitDistance() option.
> When I called it with my volume spacing, I seem to have gotten the
> result I wanted. Is this because it hardwires the opacity calculation
> to use the given value when correcting the opacity, instead of using
> the sample distance?

Why this works now makes perfect sense to me. Since I'm setting it's
the unit I'm setting, it effectively normalizes the opacity correction
calculations. It will be as if my volume had a spacing of 1.0.

Elvis