[vtkusers] GPU Memory Detection

ianl ilindsay at insigniamedical.co.uk
Mon Sep 12 12:21:20 EDT 2016

Hi all,

I am seeing a lot of out of memory errors when loading large data sets for
volume rendering with the new VTK 7.0 release. These are as follows:

vtkTextureObject (424DB080): failed at glTexImage2D 1 OpenGL errors detected
  0 : (1285) Out of memory

These sets used to display fine with VTK 6.1, and now no longer do in VTK
7.0 . The set is not particularly large - a 512x512, 266 slice CT stack.
Smaller sets render fine so there is no fundamental issue. One oddity I have
noticed is that the GPU memory is being reported as being 128 MB (actually a
2GB card) which is what happens when the vtkDummyGPUInfoList is used rather
than the vtkDirectXGPUInfoList to probe the available graphics memory. This
used to be caused by not having the DirectX SDK installed in previous
versions with similar visual symptoms (invisible volumes, only first/last
slice drawn, etc). I notice that this class is not actually present in the
Rendering/OpenGL2 source file directory, but is in the OpenGL directory.

So the question is - has this been replaced by a purely OpenGL mechanism
which I somehow need to 'turn on' using CMake / compiler switches, etc? Am I
barking up completely the wrong tree - is the new OpenGL2 version inherently
more heavyweight?

I am building on Windows 10 with the June 2010 DirectX SDK installed, Visual
Studio 2012, 32/64 bit build with the VTK_USE_64BIT_IDS flag on. The GPU is
a 2GB AMD Radeon R7 200 with the latest drivers.

Thanks in advance for any light shed on this, it has me stumped currently.