[vtkusers] Shadow support on volume rendering

ianl ilindsay at insigniamedical.co.uk
Fri Sep 2 03:59:29 EDT 2016

Thanks for the quick reply - I suspected as much.

It was more of a case of seeing that an easy way of turning shadows on was
available and of trying it out to see what it looked like to determine
whether it was something we could offer our customers as an option (and it
looks good at shows!).

I take your point that it probably makes the visualisation more 'busy' and
may hide areas in shade that would otherwise be seen. I was interested in
whether a subtle shadow made depth perception a bit easier.

>From a quick google, examples of renders of medical data with shadows on are
few and far between. This is a fairly nice example:
http://medvis.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/example_03.png . This may well
be due to quite a lot of them being based on VTK though!

Ian