[vtkusers] Shadow support on volume rendering

ianl ilindsay at insigniamedical.co.uk
Thu Sep 1 11:46:34 EDT 2016

Hi all,

Does VTK support rendering of shadows when performing volume rendering (GPU
or otherwise)?

The following post piqued my interest
http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Time-for-some-more-OpenGL2-Polygonal-Updates-td5733719.html
mentioning that it was as simple as setting UseShadowsOn.

This doesn't seem to work for volumes, however - the title of the post
mentioning Polygonal Updates may be the clue here! I did quite a lot of
experimenting with lights not following the camera, etc using the 7.0
release and a build from master with no joy.

If this is not supported, is it something that has been talked about for a
future version? I imagine it is a fairly complex thing to support.