[vtkusers] VTK slow to display 300 vtkArrowSource in real-time

Olivier Ameline olivameline at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 12:25:51 EDT 2016

Hello everyone,

I am using VTK for real-time deformation of an elastic rod.

To do this, I need to display simultaneously 300 vtkArrowSources every 100
ms (10 Hz).
Thus, I initialize the 300 vtkArrowSources, then I update them in a thread
by translating and
rotating their actors (with the functions setPosition and RotateWXYZ).

The problem is that VTK takes apparently more than 100 ms to compute the
updating, leading to
a quite slow application.

Is there a way to optimize the VTK rendering in real-time ?

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Olivier Ameline
Sorbonne Universités, UPMC University Paris 06