[vtkusers] Volume Rendering and zbuffer

Steve Petruzza steve.petruzza at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 12:48:57 EDT 2016

Thank you Aashish,

I tried to use the “vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper” as following:

—————————————

vtkSmartPointer<vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper> mapper =  vtkSmartPointer<vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper>::New();

mapper->RenderToImageOn();
mapper->SetBlendModeToComposite();

vtkSmartPointer<vtkVolume> volumep =  vtkSmartPointer<vtkVolume>::New();
volumep->SetMapper(mapper);

renderer->AddVolume(volumep);

// rendering and camera settings…

  renderWindow->SetOffScreenRendering( 1 );
  renderWindow->Render();

vtkSmartPointer<vtkImageData> depthImage = vtkSmartPointer<vtkImageData>::New();
vtkSmartPointer<vtkImageData> colorImage = vtkSmartPointer<vtkImageData>::New();

  mapper->GetDepthImage(depthImage);
  mapper->GetColorImage(colorImage);

The depthImage has type unsigned char, and I noticed that it contains only values 255 or 0 (for the background), nothing in between.
I was expecting a gradient of values, generally floats or even normalized to char.

What am I missing?

Thank you,
Steve