[vtkusers] Cannot use vtkParallelCoordinatesActor in VTK 7.0.0 and how to report a bug?

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Tue Nov 29 14:23:06 EST 2016

> Dear VTK users,
>
> Seems that the VTK developers have forgotten to add
> vtkParallelCoordinatesActor.cxx to the CMakeLists.txt file in the
> Rendering/Annotation folder. Without this one cannot use the class...
>
> And in general, it is extremely difficult to figure out which VTK module
> one should build in order to use certain classes. In other words, where is
> the VTK-module to VTK-class correspondence?

I don't know if there's a full list somewhere (would be really nice if the
Doxygen output could be augmented somehow to include this..), but you can
run the Utilities/Maintenance/WhatModules.py script from VTK against your
sources, to find out the list of modules you need to link against based on
what headers you are including.

E.g:

estan at newton:~/orexplore/VTK$ ./Utilities/Maintenance/WhatModulesVTK.py .
Filters/Modeling/Testing/Cxx/TestRotationalExtrusion.cxx
Modules and their dependencies:
find_package(VTK COMPONENTS
  vtkCommonCore
  vtkCommonDataModel
  vtkCommonExecutionModel
  vtkCommonMath
  vtkCommonMisc
  vtkCommonTransforms
  vtkFiltersCore
  vtkFiltersGeneral
  vtkFiltersModeling
  vtkFiltersSources
  vtkInteractionStyle
  vtkRenderingCore
  vtkRenderingOpenGL
  vtkTestingCore
  vtkTestingRendering
  vtkkwiml
)
Your application code includes 16 of 189 vtk modules.

All modules referenced in the files:
find_package(VTK COMPONENTS
  vtkCommonCore
  vtkFiltersCore
  vtkFiltersModeling
  vtkFiltersSources
  vtkInteractionStyle
  vtkRenderingCore
  vtkRenderingOpenGL
  vtkTestingCore
  vtkTestingRendering
)
Your application code includes 9 of 189 vtk modules.

Minimal set of modules:
find_package(VTK COMPONENTS
  vtkFiltersModeling
  vtkFiltersSources
  vtkInteractionStyle
  vtkRenderingOpenGL
  vtkTestingRendering
)
Your application code includes 5 of 189 vtk modules.

estan at newton:~/orexplore/VTK$

It's the middle one of these three sets of modules that you probably wants
to use (the one listed under "All modules referenced in the files:").

The script is not perfect, but has been a great help to me.

Elvis