[vtkusers] building VTK 7.1.0 on MSYS2: undefined references

Mario Emmenlauer mario at emmenlauer.de
Fri Nov 25 04:23:30 EST 2016

Dear All,

I've reported this issue already here: https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/issues/16916
But I hope somebody here on the mailing list might be knowledgeable about how to add
linker dependencies inside VTK?

When building VTK 7.1.0 I get an error about an undefined reference on MSYS2. Everything
works fine on Linux. The error on MSYS2 is:

CMakeFiles/vtkCommonDataModel.dir/objects.a(vtkDataSetAttributes.cxx.obj):vtkDataSetAttributes.cxx:(.text+0x4a7c): undefined reference to
`vtkAOSDataArrayTemplate<long>::FastDownCast(vtkAbstractArray*)'
CMakeFiles/vtkCommonDataModel.dir/objects.a(vtkDataSetAttributes.cxx.obj):vtkDataSetAttributes.cxx:(.text+0x4a92): undefined reference to
`vtkAOSDataArrayTemplate<long>::FastDownCast(vtkAbstractArray*)'

I think its required that vtkCommonDataModel links against vtkCommonCore? I do not
know how to achieve this. I've tried various combinations to add the dependency to
Common/DataModel/CMakeLists.txt but without success. How is this done correctly?

Cheers,

    Mario