[vtkusers] Remeshing or: how to get a "better" surface mesh from a vtkCylinderSource

Andrea Borsic aborsic at ne-scientific.com
Tue May 24 10:45:22 EDT 2016

Hi Norman,

I suggest having a look at ACVD from Creatis
(https://www.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/site/en/acvd.html). This is a
coarsening library for triangulated meshes which is aware of triangle
quality. The package is based on VTK, and it is distributed in the form
of a binary (ACVD.exe for Windows) - which would allow you a quick test
on a vtkPolyData saved to file - and the package is also available in
source form.

I am using it on input surface meshes from medical applications with
success. It might be worth trying it on your own problems. The effort to
get it working should be limited.

Best Regards,

Andrea

P.S. Note that in my experience you can not only coarsen a mesh, but
also increase the original number of nodes ... this might be useful in
the case of the cylinder example.