[vtkusers] vtkEventQtSlotConnect not wrapped in python 2.7 + VTK6.3

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Mon May 23 15:31:06 EDT 2016

> Hi David,
>
> I removed the EXCLUDE_FROM_WRAPPING line, but it didn't quite work, the
> error massage reads:
>
> make[2]: *** No rule to make target `GUISupport/Qt/moc_QVTKApplication.h',
> needed by `GUISupport/Qt/vtkGUISupportQtHierarchy.stamp.txt'.  Stop.
> make[1]: *** [GUISupport/Qt/CMakeFiles/vtkGUISupportQt.dir/all] Error 2
> make: *** [all] Error 2
>
> One thing I noticed, when building VTK5.10, there is an entry
> VTK_WRAP_PYTHON_SIP, but in building VTK6.3, this entry is no longer there.
> I am not sure if this has anything to do with above error.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thank you!

I'm also interested in using GUISupport/Qt and GUISupport/QtOpenGL from
Python.

Anyone know the rationale for why these modules were marked as
EXCLUDE_FROM_WRAPPING ?

If there was no particular reason for it, it's very unfortunate, because
now stable distributions like Ubuntu 16.04, which will be used for a long
time to come, will have a version of VTK where there's no way to tap into
these features from Python, forcing Python developers having to
re-implement this functionality (either as pure Python modules, or by
copying code from VTK). Or am I missing something?

If there was in fact a rationale (the wrappings are broken?), then that's a
different story :)

We're a Python shop, and we find the Qt integration sorely lacking on the
Python side (essentially just QVTKRenderWindowInteractor?) compared to the
C++ counterparts.

Elvis