[vtkusers] Error using vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper on OS X

David Warren davideugenewarren+vtk at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 13:46:34 EDT 2016

Hi all,

     I'm writing a set of scripts that render neuroimaing data using VTK.
On Windows and Linux everything is working well, but a friend who is using
OS X reports the following error:

ERROR: In
/Users/ilan/minonda/conda-bld/work/VTK-6.3.0/Rendering/VolumeOpenGL/vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper.cxx,
line 4040
vtkOpenGLGPUVolumeRayCastMapper (0x103b90000): Rendering failed because the
following OpenGL extensions are required but not supported:  Disabled on
Apple OS X Snow Leopard with nVidia.

     He reports that his hardware is AMD (Radeon HD 6970M 1024 MB) and that
he is running OS X 10.10.5 Yosemite.  We're all using the Anaconda Python
distribution (v2.5.0) and the VTK module that they supply (which is v6.3.0).

     Any thoughts?  Many thanks,

Dave