[vtkusers] Python and VTK with multiprocessing or joblib libraries

Martin Reed sermr at nus.edu.sg
Wed Mar 23 04:02:12 EDT 2016

Hi All,

I am trying to parallelize a ray tracing algorithm in VTK with the python wrapper.
I have the core algo working but now need to port it onto a multicore machine.
*) 2 vtkPoints objects that represent the points on a building and the points on a skydome.
*) vtkOBBTree object that represents the surrounding objects that potentially block the rays
*) evaluate <psource, pTarget, obbTree> so get a true/false value for whether the ray intersects with anything in between (IntersectWithLine method of obbTree)

What is the best way to parallelize this? I have tried joblib and multiprocessing but have an issue with 'pickling', seems vtk objects cannot be pickled for use with these libraries(?)
Any recommendations/examples on how best to do this?

Thanks,
martin

Important: This email is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and notify us immediately; you should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person. Thank you.