[vtkusers] About MouseEvents.py example

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Fri Jun 17 08:23:32 EDT 2016

> On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 1:37 AM, Elvis Stansvik <
> elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com> wrote:
>

>> I'm also curious, if you don't mind me asking: Have you used a lot of
>> PyQt+VTK? If so, did you use the interactor style system or did you forego
>> using it completely?
>>

> I used PyQt with VTK extensively from 2002 until 2007, and occasionally
> since then.  I hardly ever use the VTK interactors, only when writing
> quick-and-dirty test applications.  I prefer an "event" to be an object.
>
> Since I don't use vtkInteractorStyle (which is the main place where a
> person would want to override a virtual method) you can probably guess why
> the lack of virtual overrides in the Python wrappers doesn't bother me much.

Alright, I see. Would you mind sharing how you handle custom interactions
with a VTK rendering, if you don't use the interactor styles?

Do you directly observe events on the interactor instead? Or do you simply
handle the Qt events directly and then perform the appropriate manipulation
of VTK objects in response to those?

I'm very interested in if you use some event forwarding code similar to
that in QVTKRenderWindowInteractor, or if you are simply not bothering with
feeding input events from Qt to VTK, and handling all input on the Qt side
of the fence so to speak.

Elvis