[vtkusers] Adding a renderer vs setting its render window

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Thu Jun 16 07:21:19 EDT 2016

What is the difference between

    renderer.SetRenderWindow(renderWindow)

and

    renderWindow.addRenderer(renderer)

? Is it just two different ways of doing the same thing?

Also, the docs for SetRenderWindow [1] says

"This is automatically set when the renderer is created by MakeRenderer.
The user probably shouldn't ever need to call this method."

But I couldn't find any info in the docs about a MakeRenderer. Digging in
the VTK source, it seems there's a vtkParallelRenderManager::MakeRenderer.
Is that the one the docs refers to? Could someone clarify this note in the
docs? Why shouldn't I need to call SetRenderWindow?

Elvis

[1]
http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkRenderer.html#ae3a6088ecdcdec6b7e0b6482974de8c2