[vtkusers] Extracting largest region works with vtkPolyDataConnectivityFilter, but not with vtkConnectivityFilter

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 07:46:30 EDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 4:15 AM, D L <lackodan at outlook.com> wrote:

> Yes, I meant vtkImageThresholdConnectivity, sorry. Unfortunately, since
> I'm trying to extract the bone layer out of MRI images, I know that the
> region doesn't include the point at the center of the image... Just to
> confirm: there is no way to automate this process? If I have a dataset of
> 100 scans, I need to pick a seed point manually for all 100 of them?

For vtkImageThresholdConnectivity, yes.  For your final output, do
you need a surface made of polygons, or do you need the voxels?
What was wrong with the result from using vtkMarchingCubes and
vtkPolyDataConnectivityFilter?  You mentioned that the image was
already thresholded, so maybe vtkDiscreteMarchingCubes will give
better output?

> P.S. I assume you're only including the relevant parts of the message
> you're responding to in order to keep redundancy to a minimum and help
> others who look at this conversation later on to keep an oversight,
> correct? (I haven't actively participated in a mailing list before, so I'm
> trying to learn best practices as I go along.)

Usenet etiquette, but this list doesn't have any specific rules and
replying at the top is perfectly acceptable.

Cheers,
  - David