[vtkusers] VtkImplicitModeller Issue

Ergo papelibassesow at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 7 11:46:21 EDT 2016

Hello,

We would like to make a dilation of a 3D Mesh. For that we use the
vtkImplicitModeller with the following parameters :

vtkSmartPointer<vtkImplicitModeller> implicitModeller =
vtkSmartPointer<vtkImplicitModeller>::New();
    implicitModeller->SetProcessModeToPerVoxel();
    implicitModeller->SetSampleDimensions(50, 50, 50);
#if VTK_MAJOR_VERSION <= 5
    implicitModeller->SetInput(inputPolyData_);
#else
    implicitModeller->SetInputData(inputPolyData_);
#endif
    implicitModeller->AdjustBoundsOn();
    implicitModeller->SetAdjustDistance(threshold);
    if(2*threshold > 1.0)
        implicitModeller->SetMaximumDistance(1.0);
    else
        implicitModeller->SetMaximumDistance(2*threshold);

    implicitModeller->ComputeModelBounds(inputPolyData_);
    implicitModeller->Update();

However, once the dilation is executer, we obtain a mesh of point with both
a dilation toward the outside of the model and toward the inside. For
example, when using a cylinder, we got as result a cylinder which bigger
around the original model (which is the result we expected) but we also have
a smaller cylinder generated inside the base model used for the
transformation. We would like to know if there is a way to configure the
ImplicitModeller to avoid the generation of this sub cylinder.
The following picture depict the result :

The black mesh is the result of the dilation which is good, the red mesh is
the original cylinder and the blue small cylinder the dilation generated
toward the inside of the original cylinder which is what we want to avoid
<http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/file/n5738594/45.png>