[vtkusers] Index of points stored in vtkPolyData?

Cory Quammen cory.quammen at kitware.com
Tue Jul 26 22:42:14 EDT 2016

vtkIdFilter does what you want:

http://www.vtk.org/doc/nightly/html/classvtkIdFilter.html

Just call vtkIdFilter::PointIdsOn() to generate point IDs. You can get
the ids from your visiblePointsPolyData with

visiblePointsPolyData->GetPointData()->GetArray("vtkIdFilter_Ids").

If you don't like the array name "vtkIdFilter_Ids", you can change it with

vtkIdFilter::SetIdsArrayName(const char *)

HTH,
Cory

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 5:34 PM, BBerco <bebe0705 at colorado.edu> wrote:
> The end of my last message was maybe a bit misleading.
>
> Basically, I am wondering if the vtkPolyData *points_polydata* can be
> augmented with an id "column" such that each point is associated with an ID.
> So that the subset *visiblePointsPolyData* contains not only the coordinates
> of the visible points, but their ID as well.
>
> I am still reluctant to use a closest point approach to find the
> correspondence between the two sets, since this would be redundant with the
> rubber band selection, as the latter already provides the coordinates of the
> visible points (which would just need to be augmented with the ID of the
> visible points to make me a happy person).
>

> --

Cory Quammen
R&D Engineer
Kitware, Inc.