[vtkusers] Best practice to interact/update with data through interactor ?

BBerco bebe0705 at colorado.edu
Fri Jul 8 14:56:49 EDT 2016

Hello everyone,

I am working on a hybrid QT/VTK software where point clouds are represented
inside a QVTK widget.

My question pertains to user interaction with the underlying data (i.e, the
point cloud coordinates):

Using an instance of vtkInteractorStyleRubberBandPick, I can select one or
several points among those displayed. The current implementation of the
interactor returns the ID of the selected point (thanks to vtkIdFilter).
This ID tells me which point in the model is currently selected.

Now, let's assume that the user desires to translate the selected point
(through QT pop-up window opened if at least one point is selected).
Obviously, the underlying data set must be modified accordingly AND the view
must be updated to reflect the data update.

What is the best way to achieve this? Can one access & edit the underlying
data starting all the way up from the rendering window and then going down
to the actor, mapper and eventually vtkPolyData of interest?

Thanks!