[vtkusers] python 2.7 and vtk

Shawn Waldon shawn.waldon at kitware.com
Thu Jan 28 09:44:13 EST 2016

Hi Vikash,

You are right, vtkpython is a python interpreter that sets up the
environment so that the VTK modules are found.  You can use the VTK modules
from another python interpreter as long as it is the same version of python
they were compiled against (2.7 in most cases, including the binaries on
the download page).  You have to set the PYTHONPATH environment variable to
point to the vtk python modules and the
PATH/LD_LIBRARY_PATH/DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to point to the
vtk C++ libraries that those python modules load.  For example, on Linux
with vtk installed to /usr/local you would need:

export
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/vtk:$LD_LIBRARY_
PATH

export PYTHONPATH=/usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages:$PYTHONPATH

The paths are slightly different for each OS, so just ask the list if you
have trouble figuring it out and someone with your OS should be able to
help.

HTH,
Shawn