[vtkusers] Does vtkClipClosedSurface produce a capping surface when interior walls are present?

kent myers dakota_63124 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 27 21:32:30 EST 2016

Hi,

I am attempting to create a closed clipping surface of a simple object that
has interior walls.  I have constructed a cube from 6 tetrahedral shapes
each of which is composed of four triangular faces using a vtkPolyData
object. The walls of the neighboring tetrahedral are back to back. The
normal of each face of the individual tetrahedra all point inward.

The clipping surface is constructed correctly if I construct an individual
tetrahedron.  It also works if I construct a cube with six tetrahdra, but
first remove the interior walls.

My question is, does VTK support construction of a closed clipping surface
for an object that has interior walls?

If this is the wrong technique for constructing the object I would like to
have some advice about the proper way to do it.  Keep in mind that I am not
constructing straight sided tetrahedra.  There are one or more mid points
along each edge between the vertices of the tetrahedra so that the shape may
have curved edges and faces.  This is why I am using polydata instead of an
unstructured grid, because my tetra are not simple 4 point objects.

Thanks for your help.

Kent