[vtkusers] Moving an actor programmatically - performance issues

David Gobbi david.gobbi at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 17:47:08 EST 2016

Hi Richard,

Does your OpenGL implementation do anything special to "clip out" the
stationary data?

I'm wondering whether the slowness is due to 1) the time taken to load the
data onto the GPU or 2) the time taken for the GPU to render the polygons
after they're in GPU memory.  I'm assuming that both VTK and your OpenGL
implementation do #2 on every render, since that is typical.

VTK only reloads data onto the GPU when the data changes, but if something
goes wrong and static data is re-loaded on every render, there is a huge
performance hit.  I believe that VTK's new OpenGL2 backend temporarily had
some issues with unnecessarily reloading data, but those issues were fixed
for VTK 7.0.0.rc1.  Are you using the OpenGL2 back end?  And what version
of VTK?

The vtkActor::Render() method should only be called by VTK itself.
Applications call vtkRenderWindow::Render().

 - David