[vtkusers] Moving an actor programmatically - performance issues

Richard Frank rickfrank at me.com
Tue Jan 12 23:32:44 EST 2016

Hi,

We are moving a small arrow actor around 3D space driven by data from a sensor, with another somewhat dense polygon model held stationary. We are moving the actor with setusertransform.

We are only getting about 10 fps. An OpenGL implementation with the same data gets 50fps.

What might we be doing wrong? It seems that the call to renderwindow->Render() is just drawing everything without clipping out data that doesn't need to be updated.....

Also, what is the vtkActor::Render() method for? It seems to perform all the OpenGL calls but at the end nothing is drawn on the screen. Is that only to be called from within renderwindow->Render()?

Our code uses a timer to read the data from the sensor, and parse the data, and then move the actor.

Thanks,

Rick

Sent from my iPad