[vtkusers] would data type affect volume rendering?

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Wed Jan 13 11:22:22 EST 2016

Hi Weiguang,

On Wed, Jan 13, 2016 at 10:03 AM, Weiguang guan <guanw at rhpcs.mcmaster.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi VTK users,
>>
>> I have an integer volume dataset. I wonder if I convert it to other data
>> type (float, for example), would rendering of the new float volume be
>> different from that of the original integer volume in terms of speed and
>> quality?

It will affect the speed (at least the first frame) and may affect some
more if are close to the GPU memory. It may not affect the quality as much
other than the fact that now you are dealing with floats vs ints. I am
curious on why do you want to convert your int dataset into floats?

> My second question is that if I scaled down the data by dividing a scalar
>> during the conversion, would the rendering of new volume have poorer
>> quality? Thanks.

I think Ken already answered this question. Also, can you define what do
you mean by a poor quality?

- Aashish

>> Best,
>> Weiguang
>> Powered by www.kitware.com

>> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

> --
> Ken Martin PhD
> Chairman & CFO
> Kitware Inc.
> 28 Corporate Drive
> Clifton Park NY 12065
> 518 371 3971
>
> This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
> legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
> addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
> not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
> action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
> received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
> destroy the original message.  Thank you.

> http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ

*| Aashish Chaudhary | Technical Leader         | Kitware Inc.            *
*| http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html
<http://www.kitware.com/company/team/chaudhary.html>*