[vtkusers] Requirements for multiple volumes in one render window

Aashish Chaudhary aashish.chaudhary at kitware.com
Mon Feb 29 10:32:11 EST 2016

Hi Elvis,

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 12:06 PM, Elvis Stansvik
<elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com> wrote:

>> Hi,
>>
>> From searching around, I think I've gathered that to render multiple
>> volumes in a single window, each volume must have its own mapper and volume
>> property. They can't share mapper or property.
>>
>> My question is whether I must use separate renderers for each volume as
>> well, or if I can use the same renderer for them all?
>>
>> Also, I did read something in an old post about problems with rendering
>> multiple volumes that intersect (share a voxel). Is this still a problem?
>> I'm using VTK 6.2 and the vtkVolumeRayCastMapper.
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>

> Including Donny's answer here, to keep the thread intact:
>
>> See this thread:
>>

>> http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Rendering-multiple-volumes-td5734685.html#a5734971
>
> Thanks, that clears some things up, and brings up some workarounds. That
> thread was from oct/nov last year, so I guess it is still the case that
> proper rendering of multiple volumes that share voxels in 3D space is not
> possible? (even with 7.0?).

It depends what you define proper. If you have two volumes and they
share the exact same space, you can combine them into one volume. When
they share the same space but do not overlap that's when things get
tricky since then the outcome depends on how do you want to handle
this disparity. There could be some other ways such as you combine the
volume into one. At the rendering level it could get tricky.

What exactly you are trying to do.

- Aashish