[vtkusers] Requirements for multiple volumes in one render window

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Thu Feb 25 14:30:14 EST 2016

>> Hi,

>> No idea at all.
>> But if I am not mistaken, I know there is an open source prototype called
>> RegistrationShop (https://github.com/berendkleinhaneveld/Registrationshop
>> ).
>> It does volume rendering for two intersecting CT datasets which are to be
>> interactively aligned/registered.
>> Hope this can help you somehow. Otherwise, you have to customize the
>> related
>> vtk ray casting mappers.
>>

> Thanks for the tip. Another approach I just thought of, if it's really not
> possible to do rendering of intersecting volumes, is to first do isosurface
> extraction, and let the user work with the extracted surfaces (which I
> assume VTK can render intersected) while doing the manual alignment. That
> should be possible, if not ideal.

I should clarify: Not ideal because sometimes it's the very fact that the
user can see inside the structures inside the rock that makes it possible
for him/her to piece the parts together. If the contact areas between the
two pieces is very regular and offers little guidance on how they fit
together, the density variations in the rock may be the best or even the
only guidance.

Elvis