[vtkusers] VTK 6.2 and PyQt5?

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Thu Feb 4 10:16:38 EST 2016

Hi all,

I have the same question as Alex on this list had in April last year:

   http://markmail.org/message/i3e4dxwxqravlaf3

Is it possible to use PyQt5 with VTK 6.2?

I'm on a *buntu system, and the python-vtk6 package installs the following
Qt related files:

estan at newton:~$ dpkg -L python-vtk6 | grep -i qt
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/vtk/qt4
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/vtk/qt4/QVTKRenderWindowInteractor.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/vtk/qt4/__init__.py
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/vtk/
vtkRenderingQtPython.x86_64-linux-gnu.so
/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/vtk/vtkRenderingQt.py

ldd on the .so shows it is linking against Qt 5, but is that enough. Or
must I have a QVTKRenderWindowInteractor that works with PyQt5 as well? It
seems a port of that class to PyQt5 was done only 5 months ago:

   https://gitlab.kitware.com/vtk/vtk/merge_requests/101

So would not be in 6.2 :/

Are there really no software out there which uses PyQt5 + VTK and only make
use of packaged versions?

Cheers,
Elvis