[vtkusers] PVTS, Multiblock or Both

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Tue Dec 13 10:31:39 EST 2016

Hi,

I would recommend using the pvts format since that is the best format for
storing structured grids. If you read it back in it will know how to
properly partition the data set for different amounts of processes as well
as do things like ghost cells, extract surfaces, etc.

For topologically structured grids like vtkStructuredGrid there are two
types of extents, "whole extent" describes the beginning and ending node
(inclusive) in each direction for the entire grid while "extent" refers to
each process's (or pieces if you're serial but doing streaming) partition
of the grid. I believe this should be explained in the VTK User's Guide
which is now available for free as a pdf download.

Cheers,
Andy