[vtkusers] Build VTK without OpenGL and with MPI

Paul T. Bauman ptbauman at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 14:54:15 EST 2016

On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 12:06 PM, Bill Lorensen <bill.lorensen at gmail.com>
wrote:

> --  * vtkFiltersParallelDIY2, needed by VTK_Group_MPI.
> --  * vtkFiltersParallelGeometry, needed by VTK_Group_MPI.
> --  * vtkFiltersParallelMPI, needed by VTK_Group_MPI.
> --  * vtkIOMPIImage, needed by VTK_Group_MPI.
> --  * vtkIOMPIParallel, needed by VTK_Group_MPI.
> --  * vtkIOParallelNetCDF, needed by VTK_Group_MPI.
>

> vtkRenderingCore is needed by vtkFiltersParallel
> vtkFiltersParallel is needed by vtkFiltersParallelMPI

Thank you for pointing out this dependency. Since I only need, presumably,
the I/O portions of MPI and not the imaging, it is possible to enable only
those parts? Or is vtkFiltersParallelMPI not negotiable for any MPI
capabilities in VTK? I've just now tried

 cmake \
-DBUILD_SHARED_LIBS:BOOL=ON \
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH=$VTK_DIR \
-DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE:STRING=Release \
-DBUILD_EXAMPLES:BOOL=OFF \
-DBUILD_TESTING:BOOL=OFF \
-DVTK_BUILD_ALL_MODULES_FOR_TESTS:BOOL=OFF \
-DVTK_Group_Rendering:BOOL=OFF \
-DVTK_Group_StandAlone:BOOL=OFF \
-DModule_vtkCommonCore:BOOL=ON \
-DModule_vtkCommonDataModel:BOOL=ON \
-DModule_vtkIOMPIParallel:BOOL=ON \
$BUILDDIR/VTK-$VTK_VERSION

which gave me (extracting only the last few lines)

<begin>
-- Found MPI_C:
/femputer/pbauman/swstack/libs/mpich/3.1.4/gcc/6.2.0/lib/libmpi.so
-- Found MPI_CXX:
/femputer/pbauman/swstack/libs/mpich/3.1.4/gcc/6.2.0/lib/libmpicxx.so;/femputer/pbauman/swstack/libs/mpich/3.1.4/gcc/6.2.0/lib/libmpi.so

CMake Error at IO/MPIParallel/CMakeLists.txt:15 (vtk_add_override):
  Unknown CMake command "vtk_add_override".

See also
"/femputer/pbauman/swstack/builddir/vtk-VQfIYE/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".
See also
"/femputer/pbauman/swstack/builddir/vtk-VQfIYE/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeError.log".
</end>

Thanks again.