[vtkusers] Distortions in Volumerendering in VR-Mode (HTC Vive)

Sebastian Heerwald bastiheerwald at live.de
Thu Dec 8 08:40:02 EST 2016

Hey,

Thank you for your reply.

I have build a little program which only loads a volume dataset and displays it within the RenderWindow.

Since the OpenVR interface is a little bit hackish within VTK the only thing that decides whether it renders for OpenVR or for normal 2D-Display is whether we link against vtkOpenVR and vtkRenderingOpenVR modules or not.

Everything code related is the same.

So to reply to your Question:

> Could you try rendering a volume with an identity matrix set as its transformation?

I've build this simple program and it only places a volume dataset within the world without any transformation. The volume is directly given to the GPUVolumeRCMapper without any transformation. In "2D"-Renderwindow everything is fine. Also in anaglyph rendering I get a nice 3D View.

But when I link against OpenVR module the view dependend distortions appear within VR. I've tried some things.

All I can say is, that the errors appear if I look at any edge or corner of the surrounding (invisible) boundingbox around the rendered volume. If I look directly on one side of the boundingbox everything seems fine.

The only thing I can imagine from this perspective is, that the GPUVolumeRCMapper gets wrong view directions for the eyes. But the vtkOpenVRCamera objects seems to do everything right.

I don't know how to adjust the clipping box / bounding box you mentioned. Can you explain how I can do this, maybe this helps me to debug further?

Sincerely,

Sebastian