[vtkusers] Memory management issues: how to track memory usage?

Elvis Stansvik elvis.stansvik at orexplore.com
Wed Aug 10 02:32:35 EDT 2016

Den 9 aug. 2016 9:08 em skrev "BBerco" <bebe0705 at colorado.edu>:

> Dear all,
> I am developing an application where face/vertex shape models are
displayed
> and interacted with. Using a rectangular box selection, the user can
> highlight the selected region, apply a geometric transform to the selected
> vertices and thus modify the original shape.
>
> If VTK seems to have all the features I need to fully implement my specs,
> am however dealing with memory management issues which I have not been
able
> to fix yet.
>
> Typically, opening a shape model and just leaving it there requires about
> 300MB of memory. Selecting a region adds another 150MB to the memory
> consumption. I was hoping to see the memory going back to 300MB once the
> selection window is closed (and the corresponding actors/polydata
cleared),
> but I am left with 350MB of memory usage. So something did not get cleared
> as expected.
>
> I understand that this very high level description of those RAM issues can
> only get a very general answer at best. However, I was wondering if you
knew
> a debbugging method allowing one to track the memory used by a pointed
> variable (variable pointed at by a vtkSmartPointer)?

I believe there's a VTK_DEBUG_LEAKS CMake variable you can set when
building VTK, which enables some memory tracking facilities. I'm afraid I
don't know more than that, as I haven't used it myself, but would be
interested in your findings as I've been meaning to try it out.

Someone else can probably give more info about this option (I'm on the bus
atm).

Elvis

http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK_FAQ