[vtkusers] Memory management issues: how to track memory usage?

BBerco bebe0705 at colorado.edu
Tue Aug 9 15:08:09 EDT 2016

Dear all,
I am developing an application where face/vertex shape models are displayed
and interacted with. Using a rectangular box selection, the user can
highlight the selected region, apply a geometric transform to the selected
vertices and thus modify the original shape.

If VTK seems to have all the features I need to fully implement my specs, I
am however dealing with memory management issues which I have not been able
to fix yet.

Typically, opening a shape model and just leaving it there requires about
300MB of memory. Selecting a region adds another 150MB to the memory
consumption. I was hoping to see the memory going back to 300MB once the
selection window is closed (and the corresponding actors/polydata cleared),
but I am left with 350MB of memory usage. So something did not get cleared
as expected.

I understand that this very high level description of those RAM issues can
only get a very general answer at best. However, I was wondering if you knew
a debbugging method allowing one to track the memory used by a pointed
variable (variable pointed at by a vtkSmartPointer)?

Thanks,
Ben