[vtkusers] How to know the type of a vtk file

maogui.hu maogui.hu at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 04:36:06 EDT 2016

Hi all,
I'm a newer to VTK. I know that there are two VTK file formats to save objects, one is the legacy format, another is  XML-based file format. For the XML-based format, different data types have different file extensions. For example, .vti for vtkImageData, .vtp for vtkPolyData, .vts for vtkStructuredGrid. However, for the legacy format, there is only one file extension (.vtk). My question is there a quick function in VTK to know the exact data type of a .vtk file?

Thanks,

Maogui Hu