[vtkusers] find inside / outside region of a polydata -- some clarification

Chiranjib Sur sur.chiranjib at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 06:39:09 EDT 2016

Hi,
Here is a problem I am dealing with.

1. I have created a polydata (vtkPolydata) consists of a set of
unstructured points (vtkPoints).

2. I run the Delaunay filter to create the connectivity and cells for the
points in the polydata.

3. As a result I get the surface of the polydata and then I run the
"FillHolesFilter" to make sure that there are no holes in the surface. At
this stage I am not sure if am successful or still there are some
disconnected regions on the surface where the connectivity information is
missing.

4. Now I try to find out for a given point p, if it is inside or outside of
the polydata I get after step 3.
(ex : http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/PolyData/PointInsideObject)

Here I notice that some points which are strictly should be identified as
outside of the surface, are determined as inside.
The above example works on the assumption that the original polydata (after
step 3) should have a closed surface.

If my understanding is right, then how do I make sure that at stage 3, I
have a polydata for which I really have a closed continuous surface ?

http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/Find-if-a-point-is-inside-a-mesh-td5649582.html

The above thread, discussed about this problem partially, but I am still
not clear if I my understanding is right and how to solve it.

Any help from the experts?

Thanks,
Chiranjib