[vtkusers] hardware acceleratec OpenGL on Raspberry pi 3/Raspbian?

Elvis Chen elvis.chen at gmail.com
Sat Apr 16 20:06:25 EDT 2016

Greetings,

I've recently acquired a Raspberry Pi 3. To my surprise, the latest
raspbian (Jessie) comes with a complete development environment, including
gcc (4.9), cmake, and vtk (both vtk5 and vtk6).

I wrote a small program that reads a polydata and display it as a test bed.
The pipeline is:

vtkpolydatareader->vtkpolydatamapper->vtkactor

nothing fancy.

However, the rendering is surprisingly SLOW. It looks if the graphics is
not hardware accelerated.

My questions are:

1) How do I check if the video (which I assume to be OpenGL) is hardware
accelerated?
2) any suggestion on how to optimize the performance?

My next step is to comple vtk myself to see if it makes any difference.

any help is very much appreciated,