[vtkusers] Opinion needed: extending vtkLandmarkTransform class

Elvis Chen elvis.chen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 09:42:07 EDT 2016

hi all,

I have an algorithm that solves Orthogonal Procrustes Analysis (i.e.
vtkLandmarkTransform) with anisotropic scales. That is, given two sets of
homologous points, X, and Y, my algorithm solves the following registration
problem:

Y = R S X + t

where R is 3x3 orthonomal rotation, t the translation, and S =
diag(Sx,Sy,Sz) where the scales are anisotropic. It is the generalization
of the similarity mode (isotropic scale) in vtkLandmarktransform.

I have further extended/incorporated it into an ICP framework. The
publication can be found at
http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11548-015-1199-9, and an initial
implementation (C++/Matlab) can be found at
https://github.com/chene77/RobartsICP

I would like to implement them as vtk classes and would appreciate any help
and tips. I am a typical vtk USER and not necessarily a developer; I am
sure I can and need to learn quite a bit.

To start, I am thinking of subclassing vtkLandmarkTransform. I would
appreciate any opinion/suggestions as on:

- is this the best place to start, and
- any coding guideline/documentation,

Thank you,

--